The United Nations General Assembly has published a resolution proclaiming the period 2021–2030 as the Second Decade of Action for Road Safety, with a goal of reducing road traffic deaths and injuries by at least 50% from 2021 to 2030. The resolution calls upon member states to continue action on all road safety targets including SDGs (Sustainability Development Goals) target 3.6.
Member states are called upon to take action through 40 points of action which comprehensively cover the following and more:
- Strengthening road safety laws and law implementation;
- Monitoring and evaluation of road safety laws and implementation;
- Signing and implementing UN road safety policies, rules and regulations;
- Integrating road safety in planning;
- Conducting awareness campaigns on road safety;
- Strengthening pre-hospital care for road traffic accidents;
- Providing rehabilitation and care for those who suffer road traffic accidents;
- Share best practices bilaterally, regionally and internationally;
- Calls upon member states and all stakeholders to increase investment for road safety.