f you are editing a very large network, the mouse response can be less smooth than when editing a small network. This is simply due to the increased number of calculations that have to be carried out for each redraw of the network. However, you can improve performance by turning on the Only show basic items when dragging option on the Network Appearance tab of the Options screen. This has the effect of only redrawing details such as text items when you stop moving the mouse. Editing the network in Link Lengths mode (switch via the View menu) will also be faster.
Depending on your PC and graphics card you may also find that reducing your graphics card’s hardware acceleration gives an improvement. (This applies to any graphics intensive program, not just NetCon.) To do this:
- Minimise all open windows
- Right-click on the desktop and select Properties
- Choose the Settings tab
- Click the Advanced button
- On the new window, choose the Troubleshoot tab
- The Hardware acceleration will probably be at the ‘Full’ setting. If so, reduce it by one or two notches, and click the Apply button. (See screenshot below)
- Experiment with different settings to see their effect in Netcon.